During a time where we’ve never talked viruses, health and immune system like we are now, I thought it might be helpful to empower you with knowledge. What are some thing that we can EACH do to kick-start your immune system.
It turns out that some of the things my mom and my grandma said were right. ? Simple pantry items and back yard flowers as well as a hot bath can actually soothe your body and soul as well as boost your immune system. Plus, get Yost Wellness Center recommendations for supplements that can help you stay healthy all year long.
Even as the weather shifts to beautiful spring weather, the grass is increasingly greener and our windows are open more often…. We are still bombarded with the “what if” of contracting a virus. Fortunately, there are many things you can do right now to support your immune system… and fast.
Below, get my best tips to support your immune system. Further down, learn the science behind why these natural remedies work.
YOUR FEEL-BETTER-FAST CHECKLIST
Here’s your quick go-to guide for natural remedies that support your body overall.
- Drink lemon ginger tea: Ginger contains plant chemicals that make it a pretty powerful natural remedy. Ginger is soothing and warming— great for when you’re feeling a bit run down. If ginger isn’t a flavor you particularly enjoy, add in some lemon (a squeeze of lemon or a drop of essential oil) and local honey. You can buy ginger tea, or even just add it as a spice to foods. But if you’re really looking to get the most out of this spicy root, peel a 3 inch section (no measuring is actually necessary) with a spoon, then slice. Boil a large pot of water and drop the ginger root in with tea bags of choice (a black or green tea is wonderful). Let steep until the water cools. Drain the water and put in glass jars in the fridge. Drink one glass per day. I love getting my tea from Tea Forte.
- Eat garlic: There’s more to garlic than just keeping vampires away… although more research is needed in that area. It’s really an age old remedy that’s been used for decades to combat various illnesses. To use garlic as a natural remedy, you can either cut the garlic in half and swallow like a pill or mince 2 cloves and let them sit for 15 minutes. Then combine with olive oil and salt, then spread on a baked sweet potato or put on a salad.
- Supplement with Turmeric: This spice has created the most beautifully golden sauces and dishes for thousands of years. It’s gone from being a part of dishes to showing up in capsules and extracts due to it’s antioxidant activity. It supports the immune system, including influencing NF-kB (helps control cell survival) and TH-17 (host defense) activity — That’s thanks to curcumin, the active compound in turmeric. The only problem is that your body doesn’t readily absorb curcumin without the help of black pepper. Don’t love the taste of turmeric, or not sure how to fit into your diet? Order TUMERO here — it absorbs better than standard curcumin powders by micronization (making the particles smaller) and adding black pepper extract.
- To order. Click HERE.
- Then click on APEX
- CREATE A NEW account
- Enter code – yostwellness
- Search TUMERO
- To order. Click HERE.
- Add Glutathione: Glutathione, your body’s master antioxidant, strengthens the immune system and works with vitamin C. However, because Glutathione is busy acting on toxins and free radicals, when you’re stressed you drain this master antioxidant like pulling the plug on your bathtub. Glutathione works with Vitamin C as well due to it’s antioxidant defenses. Use a trizomal glutathione which gives the body 3 ways to optimize the body’s production of glutathione.
- In YOUR ACCOUNT (from above) – click HERE.
- Go to your APEX account.
- Unless you live in Florida or California (or further south) Don’t forget vitamin D: Turns out my mom was right – you have to get out in the sun…. It keeps your immune system in tip-top shape and Vitamin D can be argued as the most important nutrient for almost EVERYONE to supplement. Vitamin D support natural killer cells – part of your internal “army”. And guess what – if you live in Iowa, you are guaranteed to be deficient. Unless you’re getting 75% of your body exposed to the sun between 12-2 everyday… So the whole family should be supplementing.
- Click HERE.
- Click on NUTRIDYN.
- CREATE an account
- Search D3 5000.
- Liposomal Vitamin C: Turns out that my grandma was right. ? When you don’t feel good – you need to eat more citrus fruits (or get more Vitamin C). This is a classic remedy because it supports your white blood cells, your internal “friends” when it comes to getting rid of bad guys (viruses, bacteria, parasites, etc). Much of the vitamin C that doesn’t get absorbed by your cells will be excreted in your urine. This is why liposomal Vitamin C is better. Liposomal Vitamin C deliver C more vitamin C into the circulation compared to traditional vitamin C supplements. Reminder – adding lemon (vitamin C powerhouse) to your tea is a good daily regime.
- Purchase directly from Yost Wellness Center.
- Call 515-278-4325 to order and have shipped
- Take Zinc: Studies have shown the importance of zinc in maintaining the activity of immune system cells many times over. And the typical American isn’t eating a whole lot of zinc-rich foods. And even if you are, your immune system may need more when under “attack”. Zinc Pro (order HERE) is a highly bioavailable (you don’t just make expensive “poo” and “pee” with it) zinc supplement featuring chelated zinc arginate and zinc glycinate. The chelation process bonds zinc with amino acids to enhance absorption and make it easier on the gut than other forms of supplemental zinc, like zinc oxide.
- Click HERE.
- Click on NUTRIDYN.
- Search Zinc Pro.
- Use a nasal rinse: Sounds weird, but rinsing your sinuses is a great way to keep your nasal membranes clean. Many viruses “live” in your nasal passages so “cleaning” them will help. A neti pot is my favorite and not because it’s a pleasant experience… but because of how efficient it is. You can purchase at Walgreens or other drug stores. A standard saline rinse is a good 2nd where spray your nasal passages and then blow your nose. Following that up with good handwashing practices.
- Take a bath: Sinking into a nice warm tub can make you feel better almost instantly…. Warm water relaxing stiff muscles and joints, most air opening up the sinuses. But adding Epsom salts, essential oils or bentonite clay to your tub can turn this into a detox bath. Magnesium (through Epsom salts) has a calming effect that can also help you sleep, which is when your immune system ‘goes to bat’ for you. Essential oils like eucalyptus can open up sinuses and a stuffy nose, lemon helps your liver detox and boosts immune function, lavender has a calming effect, franksense supports immune function.
- DO something that soothes your soul. When we are stressed, the immune systems ability to fight off bad guys is reduced. That’s why we are more susceptible to infections.
NOTE: please do not purchase these supplements over the counter. You do not know what quality you’re getting. Our goal is to nurture your cells and improve the function of your body, not just produce expensive poo or pee. ?
Supplements should ALWAYS be third party tested or GMP certified. You can often see that label on the bottle or you can call the company and ask if they are 3rd party tested and GMP certified. Please note that all of the supplements sold at Yost Wellness Center have this distinction.
For more information or questions, please call 515-278-4325.